Ravelry: Camellia Shrug
This is a project that I finished over a year ago, it’s just taken me so long to get some good photos and blog about it! Sometimes I am pretty useless at getting round to things… I bought the yarn on clearance at John Lewis, intending to make a shrug with it. I really wanted a couple more for work as they’re great for when it’s a bit too warm for a cardigan but not quite warm enough without one. I plugged the pack of yarn into Ravelry’s pattern search and Camellia came back – the lace won me over right away so I knew it was the one.
Initially I made the size 38 as I was worried that 34 would be too small. Actually, 38 was way too big so I had to rip out the edge banding, the sleeves and the outer part of the body. Luckily the lace pattern for the body is the same regardless of size, so I didn’t have to work that again! Size 34 is a much better fit, although the body is still a big long from top to bottom, but that’s just the style of the pattern rather than an issue with the size I made.
The lace pattern is gorgeous on both body and sleeves, and it turns out this yarn was a great choice for it because it gives fantastic stitch definition in the lace panels. Sadly it’s been discontinued (that’s probably why I got it in the clearance sale) as I’d definitely knit with it again.
In the end, the hardest part of the project (other than having to rip it out and start again!) was actually getting the body lace panel started. With just a handful of stitches on DPNs, my needles kept slipping out of the stitches and it was really maddening for a while. Somehow I managed to push through it and once I had enough stitches to move onto circulars, I was easily away.
Now it’s spring time, this has come out of the wardrobe again recently when I wore it to work. I still love it more than a year since I finished it so if that’s not a great review, I don’t know what is!